January 11, 2023
Ask MAPCON - January 2023
Once again, Mapcon presents questions from our valued customers that are answered by a member of our staff, eager to be of assistance.
Q: What is the benefit of documenting maintenance procedures within MAPCON?
A: Even if procedures are not documented, they still do exist—in the brain cells of the workers performing the task. However, the maintenance department with poorly designed procedures becomes highly dependent on hiring exceptional people to do the job. Otherwise, the job is done poorly.
These are some of the characteristics of a disorderly maintenance department:
1. Procedures are reinvented each time a task is performed.
2. What written procedures do exist are hard to follow and do not follow a common format.
3. Solutions vary each time a common task is performed.
4. The solution implemented is less likely to be the optimum one.
5. There is a wide variation in performance between the ‘stars’ in the labor force and the average worker.
6. The work environment is less safe because correct safety procedures are not well-defined and may be overlooked.
7. Work is inevitably more time-consuming than it should be.
8. Rework is more common than it should be.
Characteristics of an orderly environment:
1. Procedures are well documented and well tested before a task is performed.
2. Procedures are standardized so that the procedure for one task follows the same format as for another task.
3. The solution for a common task is the same each time (no matter who is completing the task).
4. The solution that is implemented is more likely to be the optimum one.
5. There is a minimized variation in the performance between the ‘stars’ in the system and the average worker. Everyone is a star.
6. Safety procedures are listed each time a job is performed and are less likely to be overlooked.
7. Time to completion of a task is minimized.
8. Rework is minimized.
9. The time it takes a manager to communicate to a worker what needs to be done is minimized.
10. There is a formal feedback loop to improve the process.
The goal of MAPCON is to help you bring about an orderly environment.
Do you have any questions you'd like to see featured in future Q&A posts? Email your inquiries to the MAPCON TEAM.