August 20, 2015
What’s the enemy of all maintenance facilities, worldwide? Downtime.
One of the main reasons our clients use MAPCON is because it helps them keep their machines up and running, thus decreasing downtime. When a machine isn’t running, this can impact production, productivity, and a variety of other things, causing a company to lose money. With a CMMS, managers can set up preventive maintenance tasks, which means that machines are regularly inspected for problems. By staying ahead of the game, companies can prevent machines from breaking down, which decreases downtime.
You might not think that downtime is all that costly. We encourage you to use the downtime cost calculator tool below (created by Software Advice), to see how much it really is costing your company.
By plugging in estimates about employee costs, average revenues and manufacturing production details, this tool can generate an average cost of machine downtime per hour. You can click the fields on the right to enter your numbers.
- Employee costs per hour: This is the average employee salary costs divided by hours worked, times the number of employees.
- Average revenue per hour: The estimated revenue generated by your company each hour.
- Employees affected by downtime: The amount of employees, in a percentage, who are unable to work when machinery is shut down.
- Revenue affected by downtime: The estimated percentage of lost revenue due to machine downtime.
- Number of units produced per hour: The number of products of units produced each hour on average.
- Average profit per unit: Estimated profit earned for each unit produced.
- Number of hours of downtime: The amount of downtime hours expected.v
It really adds up, doesn’t it? The good news is by implementing a CMMS, you can really decrease these numbers quite a bit. Not only can you set up preventive maintenance tasks, you can also decrease downtime by adding inventory and equipment to your CMMS. This will help ensure that workers know where equipment, tools, and spare parts are located, so they can repair a machine quicker. Additionally, with a mobile friendly CMMS (such as MAPCON Mobile), your workers will have equipment manuals at their fingertips, making repairs even easier.
Now it’s time to ask yourself – can your company really afford *not* to have a CMMS in place?